Fix this problem

A place for you to voice your concerns, issues, ideas and opinions in an anonymous and respectful way.

Fix this problem

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2016, 7:46 am

We are not just losing newer officers to other departments these days. We are now losing well seasoned officers pushing 10 or so years with this place. Some are going to other agencies and some are changing careers all together. This is not just a "them problem". It is not because they cannot hack it anymore or they were never meant to do this job to begin with. This has been a problem in the making masked by pumping out academy after academy. FTO's used to be season people. The policing environment has drastically changed for the worse in recent years but it was just a matter of time. This country is going to PC crap. It is no longer the fun days of 15, 20, or 25 years ago. It has become a game of just making it through a field of political and policy landmines. A completely broken and out of control court system is handled by being told to just put up with it by those who have not been to court in 20 or more years. The pay is not being taken by the horns by those who need to because they are doing fine now and their bank accounts are healthy.

Morale is not only a personal problem as described by the guy who made sure he delivered the death knell to any morale that might have been left before he jumped ship. Why is it any surprise that nobody wants to put on class A's and attend the fallen officer memorial? Of all people who should be there are the ones who just want to be off on their day off. In police work we call this a clue. Nobody in their right mind is going to speak up in in service and say the truth. There is more in service training than ever, court every week for some, and an exhausting rotating schedule with no end in sight. Put those things on top of stagnant pay and constant worry of policy violations and you have a recipe for a perfect resignation.

Remember the days of when we knew each other's families or when there were cookouts right after work? Now it is how fast can the day be over, so I can just go home. Thank you to those new hires who are still willing to sign up. To those who have made a career of busting the chops of other, we cannot wait for you to retire. Sincerely, Tired

Re: Fix this problem

Postby guest » April 14th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Got out a year ago after 12 years and have not looked back, but I planned. Of course the best plans don't always work out either. I learned that when I left the military.

If you are looking for it, there is a world out there other than the PD. I worked patrol the entire time and was shocked at how normal and relaxed I felt shortly after leaving but I was ready.

If you are happy where you are stay there and do the best you can. Regardless of present perceptions it is an honorable profession. Should you decide to go, plan ahead, update the resume, get the credentials and education you need, and then make a wise and calculated decision (financially, family, career etc).

Do not make an irrational decision (ie leave expecting to find a job). It is always easier to find a job when you have one. The stress level is much lower and you won't become desperate.
Except in rare cases there is no one waiting for you to hand you a job. You can always find a job, but it usually means "settling" for what comes along. Be prepared to send out hundreds of resumes. In some instances at 0200 in the morning (yes...... I did) I would send out a resume and 2 minutes later get an automated response "After careful consideration of your qualifications we have decided to pursue other candidates" or some such nonsense. It is just a fact of life. Networking (a term I originally despised) is essential and is what got me the job. You don't have to prostitute yourself to network. Join a professional organization related to the field you are interested in, contact someone you know in the field. Over time someone will introduce you to someone who will introduce you to someone else.

A personal word of caution: you can always find something that involves sales but unless that is truly you, it is extremely difficult. I did sales for 3 years before I came into the PD and I absolutely hated it. In many ways it was more stressful. The enormous turnover in personnel should also indicate how tough it is. That is why they are always looking for people and make it look much more attractive than it actually might be (ie Financial services). You go to a place like Axa or Edward Jones (not picking on either but I worked for one of them) and you will see the majority of people are there less than 2 years. Then there is a wide gulf and you see people with 15+ years and not much in between. As police officers you should recognize that as a "Clue".

I planned for a year, got the certifications I needed, met people through LinkedIn etc. Went on interviews for jobs I wanted, and for practice, those I didn't want. Be prepared for all sorts of rejections regardless of how qualified you may be or think you are. Unless you are going to another Department, shelve the LEO mentality. Just like the military mentality, a lot of civilians are leery of it.

Fortunately when the offer came it was an easy decision: very flexible schedule, excellent working conditions and starting at more than I was making after 12 years. I have not seen 0400 since I left. That in itself is a good thing.

Good luck with your decision.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2016, 2:25 am

Honestly, I realized it is a lost cause. RPD is a working machine that will continue regardless of our complaints. They will turn out academies every year of highly fresh motivated jobless college graduates and veterans. The salary and benefits are a lost cause. It is obvious the city does not care, nor the Chief of Police. The ones who stay honestly have a larger second income, or just don't believe they have the skill to start a second career. Some people cannot even afford to switch departments because of the financial woes of moving. An officer at 10 years at another department usually stays because he makes enough to keep him there knowing he can't start as high somewhere else. However, this is not the case.

Postby Frank Castle » May 16th, 2016, 1:45 pm

With the budget meeting being presented tomorrow.. does anybody think the city will step up and start doing the right thing with our compensation? I doubt it and that is why another 5-10 good officers will be departing shortly. Sooner or later the city and department are going to be reactive to the staffing situation and it is going to be to late. I hate to say it but its going to get one of us hurt or killed. When we are spread so thin, but running calls all day or night and sometimes with no check ins. Rho Phi Delta gets the jobs done in the end, but when will it end since the city is still expanding at a greater rate than we are keeping up.
Frank Castle

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2016, 2:27 pm

It has become fairly routine for there only to be 5 or 6 officers working in several districts during a 12 hour shift.

Postby Guest » May 17th, 2016, 5:17 pm

According to this new budget. Average of 3.25 percent increase. More funds for new police training center and body cameras. Soooo prob another three percent raise.

Postby Walk the line » July 15th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Reap what you sow. I guess we have to hit rock bottom like an addict before the problem will be faced.
Walk the line

Return to General Discourse