Boycott Beyonce's concertt

A place for you to voice your concerns, issues, ideas and opinions in an anonymous and respectful way.

Boycott Beyonce's concertt

Postby Just say no » February 16th, 2016, 8:28 am

None of you will sign up to work Beyonce's concert if you have any shred of self respect. The RPPA suggests the same.
Just say no

Re: Boycott Beyonce's concertt

Postby Broke » February 16th, 2016, 10:06 am

While that's a noble thought, officers aren't there to protect Beyonce, and wouldn't even have any contact with her. They would be working to protect the citizens/visitors of Raleigh that choose, for some stupid reason, to see her.
Broke

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Missing the point. If no RPD officer ( and/or WSO NCSU officer) signed up to work the concert would she be forced to cancel the concert? That would be incredible and hopefully would become something that would happen nationally.

Postby Broke » February 16th, 2016, 6:45 pm

No. You'd just be working it on duty.
Broke

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2016, 10:13 pm

That's fine. Then beats and districts can be left short if they want to pull on duty people to work her show.

Postby Wiseman » February 17th, 2016, 8:31 am

My personal option is that we should not be sucked into this. I understand off-duty is voluntary, but remember that the arena could have parted ways with RPD when Harry raised the minimum off-duty wage. They chose not to because they valued us. I'm not so sure they'd be willing to stand for a boycott. A move like this might just drive them to wash their hands of us forever. Also, most of you know that we'll never get all officers on board, especially from other agencies to completely boycott the performance. Furthermore, must I remind you that we, the police, stand to protect thr freedom of speech. Even if that speech is against us. Lord knows we don't agree with groups like Westboro Baptist or the Klu Klux Klan, but unfortunately we exist to protect their rights. That also includes the Black Panther Party, BLM & Beyonce. Trying to opt out is not going to change anything. I think we, as a union, can be vocal about it, but we should not refuse to protect her & the citizens who wish to be in attendance. Even if they hate us. That's service without exception.
Wiseman

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2016, 1:06 pm

We have enslaved ourselves to making extra money. Almost makes me think we are a insufficient product of ourselves. I took this job for the moral value. Not off duty work.

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2016, 9:16 am

Off duty is not required and voluntary. There is no requirement to "protect and serve" on your day off. If you choose to sign up, then be professional and do what we do. Other than that..enjoy your day off. It would be nice if we were paid well enough to make off duty not even remotely tempting.

Return to General Discourse